I had been on the hunt for a filing cabinet the past few months. I wasn't too fussy about what it looked liked, once it was not brand new, it was more my budget that kept me searching. When I found a really old, cheap but good quality one last week in a secondhand shop I had to bring it home!
Working from home means I have accumulated quite a lot of "stuff" but it was a much needed purchase for my little office space. The next task was to turn it into a pretty piece of furniture. Here's what I did:
1. I cleaned it up a little and removed any old stickers and labels on it. 2. Next I placed masking tape over the handles and labels on each drawer to protect them from paint.
3. I painted the cabinet with an oil based paint with a high gloss, waited around 24 hours and gave it a second coat.
4. After the second coat was dry, I removed the masking tape from all handles and drawer labels.
5. I then painted the labels in blackboard paint and 6. Used a cotton bud dipped in white spirits to remove any little bits of paint left on the metal.
7. Then I sorted out all my "stuff" into 4 sections like a regular person with OCD would do and labelled each drawer with chalk.
8. Lastly, I did a bit of decorating and placed the cabinet where it worked best in the room.
This DIY took a few days but it was definitely worth the finished result. A practical piece of office furniture yet fun, colourful and totally my style.